Saturday, February 12, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Toys

Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog has developed this year-long series of weekly subjects to promote regular blog updates and provide interesting ideas for discussion.  I have been forgetting to credit Amy for the inspiration, and I apologize for that!  

This week's topic is Toys. What was your favorite childhood toy? Is it still being made in some form today?

While I certainly had my share of toys when I was a kid, I don't remember having any specific favorite for any length of time.  Toys came and went, and being a somewhat inquisitive boy, I was pretty hard on many of my toys, so they "went" faster than they came, in many cases.

Like most boys, I had a bunch of Hot Wheels and similar cars, and some of the associated plastic racetrack that went with them.  Fun to play with, but we tended to make our roads in the dirt outside instead of using the tracks.  After my mother discovered that the tracks made effective disciplinary tools, I quit wanting the tracks and was happy to have the cars.  (The tracks left a double welt across the back of one's legs...)

I liked airplanes, both models and toys.  And spaceships.  Being mostly plastic, those, of course, broke relatively quickly from being thrown through the air.

I had my share of little green plastic Army Men which I sent on all sorts of missions.  I think the Toy Story movies got that about right.

What toys did you have growing up?  Were there any favorites?  Discuss in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment