Friday, February 4, 2011

Funeral Card Friday - Anna (Friedrich) Lommel


Anna Friedrich was my wife's great-grandmother.  She was born on 05 Sep 1878 in Freeport, Stearns County, Minnesota, United States.  She married Joseph P. Lommel and had 17 (yes, seventeen!) children.  She died on 17 Oct 1967 in Saint Cloud, Stearns County, Minnesota, United States.  My wife was very young when she died, and doesn't remember anything significant about her.



What I find interesting is that I have not one, but four different funeral cards for Anna!  Each is the same inside, but there are different iconic artworks on each outside.  Here are the others that I have for Anna (Friedrich) Lommel:




My wife says she thinks they came this way for most, if not all, funerals, as the assortment was what the printers provided.  I note that most of the artwork has a little number in the corner, and wonder if you got to pick the art by number that would be in your set?  Funeral cards were not part of my tradition growing up, so they're somewhat of a mystery to me.  I like that they give some useful data about the person, but am frustrated that it's so little.  Also, the multiple versions feel to me like trading cards, like I need to collect the whole set!

Were funeral cards part of your childhood?  What did you think about them?  Let me know in the comments below!

Funeral Card Friday is a genealogy meme created by Dee Welborn of Funeral Cards & Genealogy and has been an ongoing series in the Geneablogger community.  If you're interested in funeral cards, I strongly recommend you visit her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment