Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Rooted Technology Meme

If you want to join in the fun and show off your own tech cred, here are the rules for the My Rooted Technology meme:
  • Technology you already use: bold face type
  • Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
  • Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
  • Explain or give opinions in brackets [     ] at the end of each bullet point
  1. I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy [Not currently, but like most technology professionals, I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and this will eventually happen.]
  2. I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device.
  3. I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media. [Despite the recommendation of many genealogy bloggers, I currently have little to no interest in joining a society.].
  4. I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved.
  5. I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos.
  6. I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
  7. I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research.
  8. I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki. [A little, and not very recently.]
  9. I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy. [I have one, but use it only lightly for genealogy.]
  10. I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research.
  11. I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device.
  12. I use a genealogy database program (Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic etc.) [I own current copies of MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, Legacy 7.5 and RootsMagic 5.]
  13. I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data. [In the Cloud is Out of my Control! Cloud is bad, despite all of the hype.]
  14. I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  15. I have attended a genealogy webinar.
  16. I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy. [There is already one organized by someone else.]
  17. I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research. [Trying to, anyway! Many cemeteries are out of cell reception range, and that can be a problem for these apps.]
  18. I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy. [Have one, many of my G+ contacts are genealogy folk, but I haven't worked it very hard.]
  19. I have created and published a family history e-book. 
  20. I have create a wiki related to my genealogy research.
  21. I have conducted a genealogy webinar as a presenter. 
  22. I read genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research.
  23. I have one or more genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research.
  24. I have a Twitter account and use it regularly for genealogy. [Have one, yes, use it much? No.]
  25. I have one or more genealogy-related websites which I run and administer. [Assuming this does NOT include blogs, which were covered above.]
  26. I have created a screencast or video related to genealogy and posted it at a video sharing site (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). 
  27. I use one or more digital tools to capture and record my family history. [I'd be paperless if I could figure a way to make it happen.]



This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment